Pages

GETTING OLDER

 



                                        

Don't wait to the end of your life to ask: "Am I loved and did I love well."



I'm looking for role models, good examples of what getting older could be like. We can't do what we don't know. I believe we become like those we associate with. Having a healthy role model makes the journey easier.

My father used to tell me to travel while young, so to have memories when old. He never got to travel, something he dreamed about all his life. He planned on seeing the world after he retired. He died suddenly before he got to retire. Dreams postponed are often unfulfilled. I took his advice and traveled a lot. Now I am old and I have those memories.

Old age is a privilege denied to too many. Getting old isn't guaranteed, and it beats the alternative. I think there is a time and a phase for everything. When we are young we always seem to be in a hurry. Life can be very long. If for no other reason but variety, we need to learn to enjoy each phase of our lives, not rush through them. I'm trying to experience and understand that last phase of my life now.

A friend of ours committed suicide. At his young age, he thought he had problems. Suicide is a long term solution to what is often a short term problem. I try not to judge, but advance age does put some valuable perspective on what is important and what is not.

Don't waste time and effort on bad food. Treat every meal like it is your last. It could be. You don't want to choke to death on a junk food.

Yesterday you said tomorrow.

On aging: One must wait until evening to see how splendid the day has been.

Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with their song still in them. (Henery David Thoreau)

On his death bed, Voltaire was asked to renounce the Devil. He replied: "This is no time for making new enemies".

"Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats." Francois Marie Arouet (Voltaire)


"I have enjoyed greatly the second blooming... suddenly you find—at the age of 50, say—that a whole new life has opened before you."   --Agatha Christie



There was a time when I had everything; youth, looks, health, money. I wish I had known you then.

I ran into an old friend of mine the other day who I hadn't seen in over forty years. At first, I didn't recognize him, because he didn't look like I remembered him, but he looked a lot like I do now.... bald head and expanding belly. I gave him a big hug and asked how he was doing. He took a deep breath as if to gather his thoughts. Then said with a big smile: "Hey, I'm seventy-five years old, still standing up, and talking with you. What more could I ask for." His smile betrayed his awareness that he realized others his age were not so fortunate.
............................................................................................... 

If not now, When ?




                    ##########################################################

Before it's too late, Kiss me.

            )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

A long happy relationship is assured if vision deteriorates at the same rate as looks.

                    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%


Click on the labels at the top right of the page for more subjects.